May 28, 2007
Today, after having encountered a ‘situation’, I could not help myself from classifying people based on their talking behavior:
- mic-testing-1-2-3: these are the stentorians who feel that everytime they open their mouth, they are addressing a crowd of 100, be it with a mic or without one. Their voice is heard rooms away (when they are having a ‘normal’ conversation on the phone), and as you might have guessed, they are not great with sharing secrets or comments. For eg. I whisper: “dude, check out that girl”, my friend:”which one? the floral short skirt walee?” which was loud enough to drive the point across, inspite of the laaarge distance.. she adjusts the skirt and walks by with an angry face.
- 0 to 60 in 4 secs: yes, the Ferrari kind (of which I am a proud member). These talk as if they are going to die in a few mins and would do their best to talk as fast as they can in the next few available precious moments. My presentations take about half the time alloted, and people think I have nothing to talk, but if they unzip the content, it is there. And when somebody asks why I talk so fast, I reply “because I think faster than I talk, hence I have to finish talking about this one before the second one is lined up to be talked about ” 😀 Actually it is because of short attention spans and memory lapses.
- the lazy-bums: the ones who are reticent, who hardly talk.. as if they are being taxed for every word they utter. They nod, frown, signal using fingers and use tongue exclusively for what God intended it to (taste). They give this deep-in-thought matured person-like image, but once you get them to talk (hint: alcohol), then somebody stop them! Come on, all those thoughts had to come out someday..
- the opera singer: these are the people who talk as if they are singing. Remember, it is not melodious, but they vary the pitch from the lowest possible sur to the ultrasonic frequency. (actually, this is kinda sexy with girls)
- around-the-world-in-80-days: the ones who take ages to make a point, with lots of “and..”, “so..”, “but then..” and no full-stop in sight. They dont have coherent thoughts, and keep talking tangentially for hours about how their dog pooped. I am pretty sure they must have got full marks in Social Sciences.
- the youtube kind: who want to make sure you dont miss out on the action! They not only talk, but use their hands, facial expressions or even enact to ‘help’ you get the point. I understand that body gestures are natural, but there is a limit, isnt it? (I thought of including my video reg. this post, but then..)
- cryptic-talkers: this kind doesnt intend to be cryptic, but most of what they talk cant be understood by anybody. They talk as if they are disinterested in the conversation (it is because of their style, like S.Stallone) but they actually like talking. Why do American women love Italian /French/any accented men? Because they think he is talking something romantic when in reality he was asking her to split the bill.
Could you add some more from your experiences?